21 May 2008

Rifleman Dodd

(RETRO POSTED - 02 Mar 2008)

It is now March 2nd and winter is giving way to spring. This is a good thing because our company will be spending all next week in the field on our biggest field exercise yet. This consists of two days in the defense (digging fighting holes) and two days in the offense. The weather report looks good and I’m excited to not be worrying about my toes and fingers falling off. After this field exercise our staff will be sitting down to make the final decision on everyone’s MOS (Military Occupational Specialty, ex. Infantry, Logistics, Intelligence, etc.). The next time I write to you all I will know what I am doing when I finish here. The final weeks after this field exercise will be focused on urban operations and convoy operations which are more applicable to today’s battlefield.


That is what I have to look forward to. Since I wrote last I have been busy with learning platoon size operations. There are a lot more moving parts and a platoon is what I will be leading when I finish here. We spent time out in the field to learn the basics of platoon operations in the offense and defense. In one of the pictures I attached you can see my stick loading our helo for insert into “hostile territory” for the exercise. We also conducted a live fire exercise with the platoon which was pretty intense. Additionally, I’ve learned how to employ demolitions and heavy machine guns. We went to a demo range one day to basically blow a bunch of stuff up with C4, TNT, det cord, and other charges. I never thought I would ever hold a ½ pound of C4 in my hand let alone learn how to use it and blow it up. The heavy machine guns day was pretty cool too. The attached pictures show me messing around on a Mk 19 automatic grenade launcher and me holding up a .50 round that is fired out of the M2. We got to fire and engage targets with both weapon systems. Here is a list of just some of the cool things I’ve done this month:


1) Learned how to use C4, TNT, Claymore Mines, and other explosives. C4 is pretty cool, looks kinda like cheesecake, you wouldn’t want to eat it though…

2) Went on a 15 mile stroll in the Quantico Highlands with my 100 pounds of full combat gear (this was our last conditioning hike and had to be completed in order to graduate)

3) Suppressed targets on a range with a Mk 19 automatic grenade launcher from a mile away (also fired the M2 .50 machine gun)

4) Slept in the beautiful outdoors with freezing rain which left everything looking like it was covered in sugar glaze

5) Survived a platoon size (50 of us) live fire (this means we were using the kind of bullets that hurt) that incorporated a complicated fix and flank maneuver (probably doesn’t mean much to you, but it was cool for me)

6) Completed the land navigation and night land navigation exams with perfect scores


I continue to read as much as possible and one of the books I finished recently is called “Rifleman Dodd”. It is actually a story that takes place in the Peninsular war 1808-1814 (Napoleonic Wars). The story recounts the story of Dodd who was a simple rifleman left behind when his British infantry unit withdrew. He fought on by himself alone and unafraid. He eventually evaded capture when overwhelmed and joins Portuguese guerilla forces. For over two months he continues to fight the French and risks his life in extraordinary ways to include infiltrating French encampments twice. The story is all about the accomplishments of Dodd, but when he is finally able to link up with his British regiment he is unacknowledged and unrecognized for his efforts. It was powerful to me because I think of the selfish ambition that drives our world and economy. The ends definitely justify the means. And the end that most people seek is recognition, awards, position, title, etc. Why not do what needs to be done simply because it is the right thing to do? Our self acclaim is too important to us. A question to ask yourself: Why am I doing what I am doing?


I hope ya’ll are well and I’d love to hear from ya.


Embracing the Passion,
J

No comments: