Secondly, I came to the rather hasty conclusion that Iraq could be on its way to becoming a model Middle East nation. The road to that end is rough at best. Saddam burned a lot of bridges in foreign relations with many Middle East countries. He was an egotistical bully. The invasion of Iran combined with the invasion of Kuwait pitted many neighbors against Iraq. This leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the rest of the Middle East even with Saddam gone. So Iraq has some foreign relations to work on thanks to Saddam. The ripples from his dictatorship will be felt in Iraq for many years to come.
But on the positive side, I can honestly say things have come a long way even in the six months I’ve been here. I need to caveat this statement by saying my perspective is very limited. I’ve only seen a small portion of one of the 18 provinces of Iraq. And so I can’t speak for all Iraq, but I will tell you that what I’m seeing is mostly good. Due to a new Status of Forces Agreement between the US and Iraq (commonly called “the SOFA”), US forces have pulled out of the cities big and small and now reside only on bases outside the towns and cities. No longer do Marines occupy any platoon size bases that I’m aware of. The smallest I’ve seen is now a company-reinforced position that will go away in the next month. Two weeks ago, I personally closed down the platoon size OP that my company maintained with Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) and they control all the battle space that my company formerly maintained. We no longer patrol with ISF like we did when we got here. I no longer meet with them and mentor them the same way when we got here. That mentorship is still done but mostly at the Battalion Commander level and higher. The ISF are conducting their own missions, their own patrols, and their own intelligence collecting without us or any of our help. We aren’t even allowed to drive into the cities without coordinating escorts from Iraqi Police. We’re honestly just guests here making sure nothing happens as we withdraw. And the exciting thing is nothing has happened since our drawdown beginning July 1st. In the entire Al-Anbar province, and to my knowledge in the other provinces as well, there has been no deterioration of security or outbreak of violence since we’ve stepped down like some were expecting. There is still an insurgency, but they have not suddenly surged back. The biggest indicator of progress is the actions of the people themselves. Iraqi people are freely going about their business, unafraid of driving on the roadways, shopping in the markets, or going to prayer. Iraqis who left during the war are returning from Syria, Jordan, and even America. I met a man who had been able to escape Iraq just before the Gulf War and had spent the last 19 years in California. He has moved back to Iraq because he always considered it home and he believes in the change he has seen.

No comments:
Post a Comment